Monday, May 29, 2017

Ukulele Part 2

ABC Wednesday
May 31, 2017
The letter is U for Ukulele (part 2)



Well, I'm still having fun!

Loving the Ukulele......
It keeps me company at Breakfast time
when we practice a few chords
and sometimes sing
"Five Foot Two"
which I can play now without having
to look at the music.

Here's a little poem from Sandra Beasley
that has a few words to say about the tranquility
of the Ukulele.

"The vessel is simple - a rowboat among yachts.
No one hides a Tommy gun in its case.
No bluesman runs over his uke in a whiskey rage.

The last of the Hawaiian queens translated the name
gift that came here
while the Portuguese historians translate jumping flea
the way a player's fingers pick and fly.

If you have a cigar box, it'll do.
If you have a fishing line, it'll sing.

If there is to be one instrument of love,
not love vanished or imagined, 
but love, it's this one.

Fit a melody in the crook of your arm and strum."



more Us here at ABC Wednesday
with thanks to those who maintain this meme....
it keeps me blogging....

6 comments:

Photo Cache said...

Very nice.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

Roger Owen Green said...

Looks unsafe, riding hands-free!
ROG, ABCW

Leslie: said...

Any time I hear a ukulele, I know there's fun around the corner!

Leslie
abcw team

MelodyK said...

Lovely choice for U, an instrument we not see that often anymmore...

Have a united & splendid ABC-day - week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (AbcW-team)
6 weeks to go...counting downwards to ABC Round 21

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Those guys were a kick! I thought of you the other day when the Register-Guard (on-line newspaper from our Oregon hometown) had a feature about kids learning to play the ukulele ...
they were so cute and so proud and the skill has apparently helped many of them socially as well as musically. They were having fun (well before they were "old and gray") .... but as those two in the video showed ... and hopefully I do and I know you do .... it's still possible to have lots of fun even after you already are!

Joy said...

Fun song. Its an instrument that seems to be having a bit of a renaissance at the moment although it is some time since I heard a kazoo.