Sunday, February 04, 2018

Monday,
February 5th, 2018

Once I had a friend - a War Bride from Lancashire who married a Cawston Lad and came here, to British Columbia, as did many other War Brides who were dazzled by Canadian Fellows.

She lived in the village and I lived on the "Bench" where Charles and I were establishing an orchard and bringing up all those lovely children.

We were both Anglicans.  She was here before me, and when I arrived she took me under her wing and introduced me to the village, the church and the adjoining town.  She also re-introduced me to the Jelly Roll, which a friend of my mother's used to make but which I had never tackled.

It was her Piece de Resistance..

She made the most marvelous Lemon Curd filling for those light and wonderful concoctions that she baked in a 10x15 inch pan, turned out on to a clean towel covered with icing sugar. slathered it with that lovely lemony sauce and then rolled it up tight and waited for exclamations of appreciation.



Which I must admit were many, - it became her trade mark, - that and her fondness for "Knees up Mother Brown" at Saturday night parties!!!



Today, when I was looking for a recipe for Potatoes Anna, I found in an old book a wonderful recipe for a Lemon Jelly Roll, and the years faded away and I was young, and she was young, and our husbands and families were young, and the world was a wonderful place.

Tomorrow, or the next time I write here, I will tell you about Potatoes Anna and the sweet and exotic friend who taught me how to make this enticing dish...






3 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

If she came from England she'd have called it Swiss Roll, I expect. I made some once with the "help" of a young man with autism and other learning difficulties - the result was not picturesque but it certainly tasted OK to judge by the few crumbs I was able to salvage for myself.

Hill Top Post said...

"...and the years faded away and I was young....." It's wonderful to have good memories to look back on. I'll be watching for the rest of the story," as Paul Harvey used to say.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Priceless memories ... I do love it when you share. (On a more mundane note that jelly roll sounds wonderful -- I've only ever had them with raspberry jam -- lemon curd sounds a thousand times better.)